By Chris Williams
A spouse to Nineteenth-Century Britain provides 33 essays through professional students on the entire significant elements of the political, social, fiscal and cultural historical past of england throughout the overdue Georgian and Victorian eras.
- Truly British, instead of English, in scope.
- Pays awareness to the reports of girls in addition to of guys.
- Illustrated with maps and charts.
- Includes courses to additional reading.
Read or Download A Companion to 19th-Century Britain PDF
Similar great britain books
Explores a few of the representations and imaginations of London in literature and pop culture, from Victorian instances to the current day.
For 2 hundred years historians have seen England’s excellent Revolution of 1688–1689 as an un-revolutionary revolution—bloodless, consensual, aristocratic, and certainly, brilliant. during this impressive new interpretation Steve Pincus refutes this conventional view. via increasing the interpretive lens to incorporate a broader geographical and chronological body, Pincus demonstrates that England’s revolution used to be a ecu occasion, that it came about over a few years, now not months, and that it had repercussions in India, North the United States, the West Indies, and all through continental Europe.
This name, one of many "Historic Scotland" sequence, lines, through surviving constructions and archaeological is still, the serious army job in Scotland throughout the Jacobite period. It discusses the lads who shaped a part of the 1st status military, and covers websites latest this day including the issues of holding them.
Discover Vietnam is from the preferred sequence from perception and is definitely the right significant other while researching this intriguing kingdom. This itinerary-based advisor presents information of the country's top routes, written by way of a neighborhood specialist, for that private contact and insider details. discover Vietnam is the best significant other whilst exploring this interesting state, revealing its background and cultural flavour via beautiful walks and excursions, which hyperlink the attractions from dynamic Ho Chi Minh urban via to gorgeous Halong Bay.
- Walking in Northern Ireland
- The Life of Matthew Flinders
- Making Sense of Wales: A Sociological Perspective (Politics and Society in Wales)
- The Story of the Malakand Field Force
- 222 Free Things To Do In The United Kingdom
Extra info for A Companion to 19th-Century Britain
Xiii. 4. Trevelyan, British History, p. xvi. 12 chris williams 5. Ibid. 6. Trevelyan, British History, p. 424. 7. E. Halévy, A History of the English People in the Nineteenth Century, [vol. 2] The Liberal Awakening (1815–1830) (London, 1949), p. vii. 8. L. Woodward, The Age of Reform 1815–1870 (Oxford, 1962), p. 629. 9. R. C. K. Ensor, England 1870–1914 (Oxford, 1936), pp. xix–xxii. 10. A. Briggs, The Age of Improvement 1783–1867 (London, 1959), p. 5. 11. D. Thomson, England in the Nineteenth Century (1815–1914) (Harmondsworth, 1950), p.
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. P. K. O’Brien, ‘Imperialism and the rise and decline of the British economy, 1688–1989’, New Left Review, 238 (1999), p. 62. C. K. Harley, ‘Foreign trade: comparative advantage and performance’, in R. C. Floud and D. McCloskey, eds, The Economic History of Britain since 1700, vol. 1, 1700–1860 (Cambridge, 1994), p. 305. L. H. Jenks, The Migration of British Capital to 1875 (London, 1971), p. 68. F. Crouzet, Britain Ascendant: Comparative Studies in Franco-British Economic History (Cambridge, 1990), p.
Readers may lament the absence, variously, of chapters on philanthropy or poverty, on demography or housing, on the labour movement and on consumerism. In some instances the volume’s index may help to fill a few of these gaps, but the necessity to be selective meant that there were always going to be winners and losers. It is to be hoped that what is absent will be compensated for by what is present, and that sufficient guidance will be found in this text to enable the inquisitive scholar to obtain further enlightenment in other quarters.