By Dean King
Read or Download A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian PDF
Best research & publishing guides books
Have you desired to write a thank-you be aware and suffered writer's block? thought of penning a passionate letter for your liked, yet had no inspiration the place to start? had to ship a sympathy message, yet could not locate the appropriate phrases? worry no longer. specialist letter author Samara O'Shea is the following to spark your creativity and solution your whole letter-writing questions during this fascinating advisor.
The industry is essay-level developmental writing, also known as the "bridge" direction (to freshman composition). on the developmental point, the bridge direction (and texts for it) apes freshman composition yet comprises extra simple grammar overview than the common comp direction. The direction may possibly or won't contain a examine paper, yet focuses still on writing essays.
We all know that writing could be more advantageous via the easy strategy of reviewing, enhancing, and rewriting, yet many fight with easy methods to cross approximately critiquing their very own work—be it a letter to a chum, a big enterprise rfile, or a tutorial essay. thankfully, assistance is handy in REWRITE correct! , the definitive advisor to sharpening your prose.
Are you bored with writing intermittently? do you want to put in a lifelong writing behavior, person who will get your butt within the chair every day? Then this can be the publication for you. Lifelong Writing behavior attracts on good validated neuroscience that can assist you set up an everyday writing behavior that may suffer for all times.
- Writing Your Self: Transforming Personal Material
- Nine Day Novel-Writing Faster: 10K a Day, How to Write a Novel in 9 Days, Structuring Your Novel For Speed (9 Day Novel) (Volume 1)
- The Best Travel Writing 2011: True Stories from Around the World
- Contracts of Fiction: Cognition, Culture, Community
- Unexpected Affinities: Reading across Cultures (Alexander Lectures)
Additional info for A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian
12. Frigates. Like destroyers in modern navies, frigates were the most glamorous ships. They were the fleet’s fast fighters, involved in all sorts of duties and high drama. Not part of the line of battle, they fought the majority of single-ship actions, convoyed merchantmen with valuable cargoes, raided rich enemy fleets, served as the eyes of the battle fleet, and carried earth-shattering news from all quarters of the globe. There were many different types and designs, but nearly all were fifth rates with 32 to 48 guns on a single deck.
It is for the better understanding and enjoyment of O’Brian’s magnificent epic of the Royal Navy during the age of Napoleon that I wrote this book and Harbors and High Seas. Macte Virtute, Patrick O’Brian. Contents List of Illustrations Preface to the Second Edition by Dean King Foreword by Dean King The Royal Navy During the War of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic War by John B. Hattendorf King, Cabinet, and Parliament The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty The Admiralty Office The Navy Board The Ordnance Board The Size of the Navy Ships and Tactics The Royal Dockyards and Ropeyards Sea Officers: Commissioned and Warrant Daily Life on a Warship An Overview of the War of the French Revolution The War of the First Coalition, 1793-1798 The War of the Second Coalition, 1799-1801 The Peace of Amiens, 1802-1803 An Overview of the Napoleonic War The War of the Third Coalition, 1805 The Fourth Coalition, 1806-1807, and the Naval War After Trafalgar The Fifth Coalition, 1809 The Peninsular War, 1807-1814 The War of 1812, 1812-1815 The War of the Sixth Coalition, 1812-1814 The War of the Seventh Coalition, 1815 Stephen Maturin and Naval Medicine in the Age of Sail by J.
S. Constitution, being launched in 1797. The military successes of the Constitution and her compatriots, the Chesapeake, Constellation, Congress, President, and United States, rocked the morale of the British Navy during the War of 1812. There were some sixth-rate frigates of 20-some guns in the Royal Navy, the most common type carrying 28 guns. Jack Aubrey’s Surprise was one of these. A sixth rate carried a complement of about 135 to 195 officers and men, plus 30 Marines. Unrated Ships and Vessels.